Blog Background

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Bristol Baby!



BRISTOL!!!!!!!!!!!

I was proud to grow up in Johnson City. I had a little bit of arrogance when I would say I went to "Science Hill" like it was some amazing top-notch school, for the Tri-Cities maybe it was...for sports and the band! :) We were so much better than Tennessee High in Bristol and Dobyns Bennett in Kingsport.

When I joined the NASCAR circuit, I quickly realized I had to tell people I was from Bristol for them to understand where Johnson City was. In NASCAR, EVERYONE knows BRISTOL!

Bristol for so many reasons is a magical place. I started going to races when I was 5. I think I even slept through a few. My parents loved taking us to Bristol, and I loved it more than my sister. I knew all the drivers numbers and names when I was 7. I make fun of my husband for being a NASCAR fan, when secretly I am too! In my childhood years it was a place of fun, family, and tailgaiting.

For my adult years, it was a beginning. I got the opportunity to work with some of the most kind hearted people and learn a lot about the NASCAR business world. I started as an Intern helping out my good friends Stacy and Joni. I did a lot of random things at Bristol, helped with the campgrounds, managed the front desk, and made A LOT of copies! I loved being an intern because I could learn. There are a few SPECIAL things I LOVE about Bristol.

1. Jeff Byrd-You can't talk about Bristol without talking about Jeff Byrd. I've been to 20 of the 22 tracks the Sprint Cup Series races at. No other track is as well run as Bristol. Some may say I'm biased and maybe I am, but Bristol has an ambiance like no other. If you don't love the beautiful God-made mountains, you'll love the people! Everyone has a gentle spirit, and that all started with Jeff's vision for Bristol. Pleasing the Fans, from having a full time staff who is souly dedicated to helping fans and listening to what the fans want from Bristol to innovating a race track that gets them the closest access to NASCAR's most famous faces. Jeff's mantra is "exceed expectations" for EVERYONE. Jeff wasn't at the race in Bristol this Spring for medical reasons. Thoughts and prayers for his family were given all over the garage and I especially have to say I'm praying for strength and peace for the whole Byrd family.

2. Lee Greenwood- Anyone who came to my wedding after-party KNOWS i'm not the only one who LOVES Lee Greenwood. All of my precious bridesmaids and friends belted out with lyrics with pride. He was in Bristol this past weekend, he sang my favorite song and he lead the whole crowd in the pledge of allegiance. I mean NO where else does that!!!

3. Family- Bristol is a racetrack on the circuit that I can come home and sleep in the house I slept in for 22 years. When I come home, I'm able to spend time with my sister and her family, my sweet 100 year old Mamaw, my wonderful parents, and friends that always drop their schedules when Justin and I come to go out for a few drinks.

4. Taylor- I'll be the first to admit, Kyle Busch is not my favorite person in the world and he gets a lot of flack for being a "bad boy" but sometimes like last fall, he becomes a real person. I met this little boy named Taylor last year who was born with his bladder on the outside of his body. He's had many surgeries and will continue to have surgeries for most of his life, and he LOVES Kyle Busch. Most kids love Kyle because they love M&M's, Taylor simply loves Kyle. His racecar pajamas are what get him through his surgeries and playing with his cars after surgery are what help him cope through the pain after. Last year, I was humbled to plan a meeting with some help from Food City for Taylor to meet his idol. Taylor was a bit nervous, but when I picked him up on the M&M's golf cart he had one thing on his mind KYLE. He talked about Kyle winning at Bristol and how he KNEW he was going to WIN, and that he was going to win for him. When we arrived at Kyle's motorcoach, he was speechless, as most of us would be if we met our celebrity idols. Kyle won the race that night, and after Victory Lane, media interviews, and a photos, he walked out the tunnel of Bristol and Taylor was there wide awake well after midnight. Kyle ran over to Taylor gave him a hug and told him he won the race for him. Taylor was right about him winning and winning for HIM. Kyle didn't have to go talk to him about the race, but he did and for a moment he made someone's little life a little better. Taylor and Kyle in Bristol in August 2009.

I get to travel and do a lot of really cool things with my job, but I have to say meeting Taylor is at the very top. He's a brave little boy and has amazing parents who simply love and encourage him everyday.
I really wanted to share just a few of the special things I LOVE about Bristol!

No comments:

Post a Comment